"Free-to-play will change everything."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free-to-play will change everything."

Hawken's already made a splash, even before its open beta began earlier this week. When the trailer for Khang Lee's vision of a future corrupted by nano-viruses and patrolled by angry, sexy mechs debuted last April, the world watched in awe. And the games industry watched in envy, beginning a long courtship period between several publishers and the independent developer Adhesive.
    "Like everyone else I saw it first on YouTube in April last year, and I was blown away," says Mark Long, a veteran who's worked throughout the industry, most notably forming Zombie Studios, developers of the early Spec Ops games among others. "I asked a friend that knew the art director Khang Lee, so I asked to be put in touch with him. I became friends with Khang, and began advising Adhesive as they were negotiating with various publishers who were talking to them."
    Long succeeded where other bigger names had failed in wooing Adhesive, although he had the backing of someone behind one of the biggest names in gaming. "I was steering them towards free-to-play, and the venture capitalist who helped fund Riot and League of Legends was chasing them, and I brought everybody together and formed publisher Meteor as a result."
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X