Trends of 2013: The real meets the virtual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trends of 2013: The real meets the virtual

Last November I moved house, which means I've found myself with a new neighborhood to explore, a new muddle of streets and parks and cul-de-sacs to learn the ins and outs of, a new racing line between the front door and the bus stop to uncover. I've taken to all of this the only way I know how, of course: I've stuck the Treasure World cartridge into my old DSi, I've snapped the lid shut, and I've been wandering around town looking for loot.
    Treasure World isn't much of a game, but that doesn't matter quite as much as it should. It's a weird piece of lifestyle software, really, and it turns your DS into a celestial fishing rod. As you meander about, the cartridge is harvesting wi-fi hotspot signals - you get a cute little tinkling noise when it finds one and everything - and it then turns them into weird virtual doo-dads that you can sift through when you get home.
    The virtual doo-dads aren't particularly good - they're the ludic equivalent of the kind of things you find in cheap Christmas crackers, if I'm being honest - but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of Treasure World as much as it should, either. I'm willing to overlook all the things the game gets wrong because I love the one thing it really gets right: it stitches threads between real and virtual worlds, and allows me to tangle myself in them.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X