Father mods Donkey Kong so his daughter can play as Pauline rescuing Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father mods Donkey Kong so his daughter can play as Pauline rescuing Mario

Last year a man won the "father of the year" award in the hearts of many a gamer when he changed all the pronouns in Wind Waker to transform the androgynous-looking Link into a girl so his daughter would have a positive female role model. This year another father has followed suit by reskinning Donkey Kong protagonist Jumpman (aka Mario before he was Mario) into Princess Pauline, while the moustachioed carpenter is now the dude-in-distress.
    The man in question is Mike Mika, chief creative officer at Dark Void Zero developer Other Ocean Interactive. Mika detailed his exploits in an article he wrote for Wired. Evidently his three year-old daughter took to games instantly. One day she asked the too-adorable-for -words question: "How can I play as the girl? I want to save Mario!"
    "It made sense," Mika wrote. "We had just played Super Mario Bros. 2 on the NES a few days before, and she became obsessed with playing as Princess Toadstool. So to go back to Donkey Kong, I can see how natural it seemed to ask the question. I explained to her that Donkey Kong, while similar, is not the same game. On this occasion, I really could tell that she was disappointed."
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X