Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do The Joker, Brandon Lee, a raccoon and an outlaw have in common? They all went

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do The Joker, Brandon Lee, a raccoon and an outlaw have in common? They all went

Last month there was a minor uproar when Thief game director Nicolas Cantin appeared to indicate that the game's hero Garrett had been designed with more mainstream tastes in mind than those of the series' existing audience. As it turned out, he was actually discussing how the character had evolved during this Thief game's development, rather than claiming it was a shift away from the series' enduring values. "Our early design went a LOT more gothic - with black nails etc - but we thought that this wasn't true to the legacy of Garrett so we pulled it back a bit," Cantin wrote in an official forum update.
    Funnily enough, as that story broke I was actually sitting in Eidos Montreal's demo theatre as Cantin and his colleagues walked the international press through the game and many of the design decisions that have gone into it. You can read my Thief preview elsewhere on the site today, but in light of the ruckus Cantin's misconstrued comments caused, I thought you might like to hear what he had to say in person about Garrett's design.
    The Thief reveal at Eidos Montreal was staged in several parts - there was a lengthy in-game demo, which we got to see twice through, a tech demo showing a burning mansion, roundtable and one-to-one Q&As with various development staff, and a lot of Powerpoint presentations. One of the latter focused on Garrett specifically.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X