Systems vs. stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systems vs. stories

"I can tell you I'm really excited about our story." That's Eric Holmes, creative director of Warner Bros' Montreal studio, talking about Batman: Arkham Origins in a GameSpot interview this week. As a fan of Rocksteady's previous Batman games, I'm excited that Holmes is excited. "I think it's a very important Batman story," he continues, "and I think fans are going to love that probably more than any other thing in the game."
    It's here that I do a double take. Fans are going to love the story more than any other thing in the game? Even more than, you know, the actual game? I'm all for better stories and stronger writing in games - God knows we need it - but let's not lose sight of what makes games unique in our rush to narrative validation.
    Every new artform endures by carving out a creative niche that only it can satisfy. Film captured the imagination because, while it evolved from photography and theatre, it had something that those existing and well-established forms of art did not. It had movement and editing, the ability to take static images and make them appear alive, and the ability to arrange those images, juxtapose them, contrast them, shuffle them around in the blink of an eye. As these tools evolved, so too did the art of film.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X