How Hotline Miami plays on PS3 and Vita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hotline Miami plays on PS3 and Vita

I have a confession to make: I loathe playing games on a PC. I know there are plenty who swear by it, but I'd take a gamepad or even Wii controller over a mouse and keyboard any day of the week. My index fingers and thumbs were made for gaming. My other six digits? Well, they'll do in a pinch, but generally don't like to be bothered to do more than keep a controller in my hand and help me carry groceries. So it was with a bit of sadness and resignation that I had to play Hotline Miami with a mouse and keyboard upon its initial launch on PC last autumn.
    While gamepad support was added, it was never part of developer Dennaton's core design, but that's all changed with Devolver Digital's latest PSN port, a Cross Buy affair that comes to both PS3 and Vita with a single purchase. It's released on the European PlayStation Store today. After some hands-on time with both versions, I can say that this dual-stick-and-button adaptation works very well, though it's not without its learning curve.
    Instead of a mouse free-roaming the screen, you've got the right analogue stick acting as a reticule that stays tethered to you by a short radius. This dictates where you're aiming. For dingbats like me who had trouble maneuvering a mouse and a top-down character at the same time, this makes combat feel more natural.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X