This could be Oculus Rift's killer app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be Oculus Rift's killer app

Palmer Luckey thinks it's one of the best games out there for the Oculus Rift. I've yet to play everything - and Gamescom last week was my first experience with the headset that's sent excited ripples throughout the industry - but I'm not about to argue with the Oculus founder. Eve Valkyrie sells you on the virtual reality dream better than anything else out there, delivering a bespoke experience that transports you into another world with startling efficiency and effectiveness.
    Valkyrie started, much like the Rift itself, as a technical demo cobbled together by a team of enthusiasts within CCP. "It all started last year," recalls CCP's Sigurdur Gunnarsson. "I was watching E3 and I saw Carmack demoing Doom on a Rift. It got me really excited that virtual reality might actually come back for real this time. I backed the Oculus Kickstarter on day one, as did a colleague of mine. Then we started looking around to people at CCP to make a game with me. A few of us were thinking the same things, and we made a group for a game to make."
    Within days of receiving some Rift dev kits the small team of five had built a bare-bones demo that nevertheless sold the proof of concept well - here was the rich sci-fi universe that CCP's built up over the past decade seen from the first time from a new perspective. "From that point we spent the next five weeks - and we were allowed to use 20 per cent of our company time - working towards making an experience for Fan Fest," says Gunnarsson. "We bought it there and people really, really liked it. It was a pretty big queue all Saturday."
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X