The wonderful Kamiya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wonderful Kamiya

You'd think he'd be terrifying. Hideki Kamiya, the creator of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Okami, has a persona that has come to light through his brilliantly candid and often terse Twitter outbursts and has been cultivated since before he got into games: there's a famous photo of a young Kamiya in a leather biker jacket, holding a Union Jack-gloved fist to his chest while a relative dressed in pink, perhaps his mother, stands politely beside him.
    So you'd forgive me for being a little intimidated before sitting down with Kamiya a handful of days after reviews for his latest creation The Wonderful 101 have hit, and for having fears that any question I pitched that wasn't to his liking would be batted away with trademark pithiness. His press demonstrations, sometimes conducted in silence and only punctuated by occasional nods of approval from Kamiya, have become modest legends, his Twitter takedowns artfully harsh.
    But in person, Kamiya's a pussycat. With shades perched on top of his closely shaved scalp and a promotional t-shirt spread across his wide frame, Kamiya sits attentively on the edge of a faux leather sofa giving thoughtful, measured answers (though I still daren't ask whether Bayonetta will be in Smash Bros.).
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X