Definitely not on rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely not on rails

It's a grey January morning and the rain batters the windows of the taxi taking me from Guildford train station to Surrey Research Park. Typical English weather, then, as I head to the home of a developer which has been making typically English video games for a decade.
    1 Occam Court is an unremarkable medium-sized building surrounded by wet grass. A nearby lake adds a whiff of the countryside to the place, despite it being down the road from Guildford Town Centre. Inside over 100 staff beaver away on the Xbox's premier exclusive role-playing game series, among other things.
    This is my first visit to Lionhead, which I am ashamed to admit. No time for moping; there's a form to sign and a trophy cabinet to admire. A couple of Interactive Achievement Awards; three BAFTAs; four custom Xbox 360 consoles; a special disc to celebrate 1m sales of the first Fable game; a special edition that was never released because of a manufacturing problem; and a giant coin behind a smaller coin, the former a treasure once hidden as part of a promotional stunt, the latter the reward for fans who found it.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X