Loud soft: In praise of Austin Wintory's dynamic Monaco soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud soft: In praise of Austin Wintory's dynamic Monaco soundtrack

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine is one of the most beautifully conceived games I've ever played. Every aspect of it seems to be the result of careful, considered planning. It's clever, creative, and endlessly surprising.
    Monaco's a robbery game set in a location you'd really like to see picked clean, and it delivers big-budget heists and hectic escapes via the affordable medium of top-down maze classics like Pac-Man. Pocketwatch Games has kept the whole thing alive for the year following its release with judicious - and generous - free DLC, too, and as the campaigns have piled up the narrative has genuinely grown in depth. How rare is this: video game storytelling that leaves you confused in a good way? I won't spoil the intrigue for you here, but if you want to see what all the fuss is about, you can check out the game's forums where players are still trying to put the pieces back together.
    Fin, the final DLC campaign, appeared at the start of April, and it's made me fall in love with Monaco all over again. More specifically, it's made me fall in love with Monaco's soundtrack, another ingenious piece of planning and implementation that truly comes alive in the very late game levels that Fin offers - because the very late game levels are so terrifyingly challenging.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X