Block rockin' beeps: What's behind gaming's greatest soundtracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block rockin' beeps: What's behind gaming's greatest soundtracks

Video games are huge, collaborative endeavours where many disparate arts come together to create a single entity for our enjoyment, and just as in theatre, cinema and television, developers have learnt of the power that music holds. Since the very earliest days of gaming composers have been striving to enhance our experiences with their skills, to excite us, to inspire us, to amuse us. Sadly this element of gaming is sometimes overlooked since, in the process of assessing games, there are so many parts to consider and, understandably, there's only a finite amount of space to examine them all. Priorities have to be assigned, and outside music-centric games like Guitar Hero or Lumines other elements usually take necessary precedence.
    This is where I come in. I adore game music across its broad history, and I want everyone to see just how brilliant it is, and how it's used to make our gaming experiences that much more wonderful. So I'd like to take you through a few tracks and give you an insight into what I feel makes them tick.
    The Legend of Zelda is a series of icons and iteration. While each instalment brings with it new and exciting ideas they are also famously replete with familiar, reworked elements. Gameplay, setting and images all go through their tweaks and reappearances and so, in some cases, does the music. The most iconic track from Zelda is the rousing overworld theme, by Koji Kondo, that's been in place since the very first game on the NES.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X