BioWare's Shadow Realms is a pleasant surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioWare's Shadow Realms is a pleasant surprise

EA's Gamescom press conference surprise was a new game by BioWare, the house of Mass Effect and Dragon Age - a company responsible for some of the finest adventures in many years of gaming. Yet Shadow Realms, the new game, is different, and a surprise in more ways than one.
    It's announced as an online multiplayer game for PC, with an in vogue four-versus-one gameplay mechanic à la Fable: Legends and Evolve. It's also to have a story delivered in episodes, à la Telltale (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us), and a modern day 'secret magic world within the real world' setting à la Funcom's MMO, The Secret World.
    Sat in the auditorium of EA's press conference, and as an admirer of BioWare's work, I confess I wasn't impressed. Is this a MOBA-like grab at some online gaming money, a way to keep BioWare Austin - the studio created to make Star Wars: The Old Republic - busy? That cynical first impression was, I discover through playing the game and talking to the people making it, well wide of the mark.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X