New Net Neutrality Plans Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Net Neutrality Plans Revealed

New plans to safeguard the internet as an open platform have been revealed by the Federal Communications Commission chairman.

Tom Wheeler this week announced plans to regulate wired and wireless broadband services under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. As a result, the internet, according to Wheeler's proposal, will be treated as a utility.
    Wheeler says in an op-ed for Wired that applying Title II status to the internet will ensure the concept of "net neutrality," which essentially means keeping broadband open to everyone. The new rules will ban internet service providers from blocking or throttling broadband access.
    "I am submitting to my colleagues the strongest open internet protections ever proposed by the FCC," Wheeler said.

"These enforceable, bright-line rules will ban paid prioritization, and the blocking and throttling of lawful content and services. I propose to fully apply--for the first time ever--those bright-line rules to mobile broadband. My proposal assures the rights of internet users to go where they want, when they want, and the rights of innovators to introduce new products without asking anyone’s permission."

The FCC is expected to vote on Wheeler's proposed rules on February 26.
    Wheeler says his new internet proposal won't stifle investment in broadband networks, in part because he plans to modernize Title II, "tailoring it for the 21st century." As an example, Wheeler says there won't be rate regulation or tariffs, among other things.
    "The internet must be fast, fair, and open. That is the message I've heard from consumers and innovators across this nation," he said. "The proposal I present to the commission will ensure the internet remains open, now and in the future, for all Americans."
    Consumer advocates and internet companies praised the announcement, saying it's a major benefit for small businesses and consumers, according to GameSpot sister site CNET. However, the proposal isn't going over well with everyone.
    "Heavily regulating the internet for the first time is unnecessary and counterproductive," Verizon deputy general counsel Michael Glover said. Verizon isn't the only upset party; check out CNET's full coverage for more.
    Under the new rules, the FCC would forbid broadband providers from doing things like choking Netflix streams, but what effect the internet being treated as a utility could have on gaming is still up in the air.
    With PlayStation Now and Microsoft's newly announced Xbox One streaming service, as well as the rise in digital game sales and other services, it's looking like broadband-powered functionality will play a major role in the future of gaming. The FCC's new measures would appear to be consumer-friendly in this area, though that remains to be seen.
    United States president Barack Obama in November backed net neutrality, calling on the FCC to implement measures that would prevent ISPs from throttling Internet access.
    At the time, Obama has asked the FCC to reclassify the internet as a utility, because for most Americans "the internet has become an essential part of everyday communication."
    "We cannot allow internet service providers to restrict the best access or to pick winners and losers in the online marketplace for services and ideas," he added at the time.
    For lots more on the Net Neutrality news this week, read CNET's in-depth coverage.

More...
Working...
X