Grow Home review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow Home review

It can be hard to remember the precise moment that you fall in love with a game, but it's comparatively easy to remember the moment you realise - yes! - that the game you love is truly worth it. Night had fallen, and I was down by the shore, under the shadow of a huge, soaring vine. The sea was still - the sea is always still - but at the edge of the bay I could spy a cluster of objects bobbing around. Two of them in particular stood out to me: football-sized lumps of green stuff, glowing gently in the dark. That's the moment. I love Grow Home. And it's worth it.
    I hope it's not a spoiler to say that when Grow Home's short campaign reaches its dizzying conclusion, you're left to explore the entire map and - if you wish - hunt down eight little doodads that have been freshly scattered over it as sort of a grand finale. The doodads are seeds, football-sized lumps of green stuff, and they could be anywhere. Six of them didn't give me much trouble, but the last two - one perched in a cactus, one rolling in the crater of an asteroid - got away from me. They really got away from me, actually: 2000 metres of getting away. They both ended up in the sea, and the sea in Grow Home is deadly. Uselessly, I watched them float about for a bit and then I clambered back to the spots where I'd found them. Safe bet, right? They're probably on a timer, and they're probably going to regenerate.
    They didn't regenerate, though, not even when I saved and quit and then reloaded everything. Wait! Why would they regenerate? They're in the sea. Working a hunch, I went down to a quiet inlet at the heart of the map. I looked to the horizon, and then those seeds wobbled into view before brushing up on the sand. Of course!
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X