Torment: Tides of Numenera is still worth getting excited for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torment: Tides of Numenera is still worth getting excited for

It seems like a long time ago we got excited about Torment: Tides of Numenera, the record-breaking Kickstarter game. Things were quiet in gaming back then, and bringing back beloved old games in new ways was exciting. But the world has moved on, new consoles launched, and similar kinds of nostalgic Kickstarter games eventually came out. Excitement naturally died down.
    But as I talk to Torment creative lead Colin McComb, I remember why I was excited. It's because Planescape: Torment was different - that's the old game this new Torment thematically succeeds. It was deep on a philosophical level. 'What can change the nature of a man?' it asked as it pondered humanity and existence. Sure it had Dungeons & Dragons rules and a weird multiple universe setting, but they were almost beside the point. Torment: Tides of Numenera follows a similar path. 'What does one life matter?' it asks.
    You're the suddenly-awoken consciousness of a body just abandoned by the Changing God. He's inhabited thousands of bodies like yours over aeons, seeing all he can of life while outrunning a fear of death, manifesting as an ancient enemy called The Sorrow. It usually kills the bodies he leaves. But not you. Now you're a key part of a battle and world you don't understand, trying to find your way. Sound familiar? How you get to the bottom of it all will be your journey.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X