Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires review

It's fair to say that whenever there's a Dynasty Warriors, there'll be an Empires to go with it. This latest instalment follows the usual path; take the combat from the latest Dynasty Warriors and weave strategy all around it. The hack-and-slash carnage is embedded, compartmentalised and re-focused within a superstructure of turn-based expansion and consolidation. For many, it'll be the same old story, but it offers a multitude of joys for diehard fans, especially if they haven't played DW7 Empires. For anyone lured in by DW8, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires sets a much deeper and detailed challenge.
    Barely building on the previous Empires title, DW8's take includes the traditional Koei dash of some new stuff, including marriage and children. You can play it as a loyal servant to one of Dynasty Warriors' famous generals, sticking with them or stabbing them in the back, or work as a free agent for hire and set up shop on your own. Ultimately you're seeking the unification of China, and the most fun to be had is in taking it all by force.
    A real highlight is the opportunity to create your own warrior and go fighting in marvellous costumes. I set up a character based on my cat, gave it my favourite Musou warrior Zhou Tai's move-set and quickly formed an alliance with the common first-bloods of the Dynasty Warriors universe - the Yellow Turbans. I happily followed the orders of crazed wizard Zhang Jiao and we expanded our territories with decent pace, but old Zhang Jiao has little love for his people, conferring the rank of DESPOT upon my feline swordswoman. This would not do at all. Nobody makes Monktonia a despot.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X