How a real life mystery makes Kholat a novel experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How a real life mystery makes Kholat a novel experience

If you're looking to make a truly terrifying game, sometimes you don't have to look further than real-life events. That's the route Bartosz Moskala and Lukasz Kubiak, co-founders of Polish studio IMGN Pro, decided to take when they drew inspiration from The Dylatov Pass Incident for the story to their debut game, Kholat, a narrative driven horror 'experience'.
    "When you are watching a horror movie," Kubiak tells me, "maybe you are scared, but you've got this feeling that it is just a movie, just a fictional story. Even if you are scared it's just like 'hmmm... alright'. But when we read about the Dylatov Pass Incident I was like 'wow, it happened for real!' and I was really scared."
    For those unfamiliar with Russian conspiracy theories, The Dylatov Pass Incident is one of the countries most enduring legends. In the late 50s a group of mountaineers on their way up the northern Ural Mountains vanished without a trace. Their final campsite was found almost a month later on a remote peak, known to the indigenous Mansi tribesmen as "Kholat Syahkl", which, unnervingly, translates as the "Dead Mountain". Their semi-clothed and horrifically injured bodies were found spread out from their camp as if something unexpected and terrifying had chased them from their tents into the cold, dark night and killed them.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X