Infinite Crisis and the fight to stay relevant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite Crisis and the fight to stay relevant

Editor's note: This is an early impressions piece of Infinite Crisis. Our full review will be up in the near future.
    As someone who began their writing career in music journalism, I'm well versed in the dark arts of pop. Go ahead, ask me anything! I was there for all the big events of 10 years ago: when Chris Cornell announced AudioSlave, and when Jamelia did a Reebok ad. My work in the field perfectly coincides with one of the most subdued periods for mainstream pop in decades. But for all my time spent in those trenches, my biggest takeaway as music writer was the resemblance between the commercial hits. Pop music, culture critic Simon Frith wrote, is a "matter of enterprise, not art." This is the nature of entertainment in the mainstream.
    Maybe this is why I recognise a signature weariness on the faces of games journalists who've been asked to cover one of those ubiquitous, free battle arena, laning games. Those big empty faces, a hallmark of the people who've seen too much. This industry of free-to-play MOBA shares a lot with pop's enthusiasm for mass production. Last year alone saw the launch of six new battle arena games, not even including things like Heroes of the Storm or Dead Island: Epidemic which remain in beta.Is it just more pop? It's worth asking when playing a game like Infinite Crisis.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X