Goodbye, P.T.: Inventive, brilliant, and troubled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, P.T.: Inventive, brilliant, and troubled

Spoiler warning: This article contains lots and lots of spoilers for P.T. and the movie The Cabin in the Woods. They're both brilliant and we don't want to ruin them for you, so check them out before you read on.
    P.T. feels like a loop. The entire experience plays out in an L-shaped length of corridor, a neat chunk of suburban home rendered impossible and Pac-Man-like by the fact that the door at the far end drops you back to the door at the start. You move through the space again and again, stuck deep within the machine. What's changing, and what stays the same? Are the walls growing dirtier? Is the art moving about when you aren't looking?
    But P.T. is not a loop. It's a spiral. Just before you head through the second door, you jog down a short flight of steps, which means that every time you pass along that L-shaped corridor in its entirety, you're actually descending, corkscrewing deeper and deeper and bound, presumably, for that infernal place all horror fiction ultimately orbits. P.T. is full of stuff like this: stuff you only notice on your second, your third, your tenth visit. This weekend, hearing the sad news that Konami will be yanking the whole thing from PSN this coming Wednesday now that the game it was created to promote has apparently been cancelled, I headed back in. A miserable day for Silent Hills, but I was still surprised and delighted at what I found.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X