House of Wolves gives Destiny PvP an endgame worth investing in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House of Wolves gives Destiny PvP an endgame worth investing in

Destiny's competitive multiplayer, called Crucible, doesn't reward player "investment" in the same way the player versus environment portion of the game does. That is to say, Crucible rewards are muck. Six-player groups take on Destiny's wonderful Raids in the pursuit of powerful Legendary-class weapons and high level equipment that can only be obtained by completing difficult encounters and defeating computer-controlled bosses. There's an element of randomness to the coveted Raid drops, so on any given run you may not get that helmet you've been after since Destiny launched in September, but at least you know which items you're in with a chance of getting.
    For those who brave Crucible there is no such certainty. All you have is the prospect of, after each 10 minute or so match, getting items you'll probably instantly de-construct into materials you already have stacks of. Yes, there's a chance you'll get an Exotic class weapon after completing a match, but the chance is so slim that when - if - it does happen, you almost can't believe it has. I still remember the day a friend of mine got Gjallarhorn, an Exotic rocket launcher considered the best in the game, as a random drop from Crucible. I lost my shit down the microphone.
    Destiny's PvP does not have a proper, meaningful "endgame". And what I mean here is that Crucible is the worst way to get great gear and hit the level cap. Bungie tackled this problem with the addition of the Iron Banner special event: an intense, well-thought out mode in which the statistics of items matter and unique, high-level equipment and weapons are up for grabs, but getting this gear requires significant reputation with the Iron Banner itself. And given the event only runs in short, sharp bursts, for many players, myself included, the entire exercise is somewhat futile.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X