A year on the Throne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year on the Throne

Watching an Early Access game evolve over time is a strange, changeable, exhilarating experience. All the more so when the fixes and updates, buffs and embellishments seem to act as a kind of parallel to the often-tumultuous shifts of direction in your own life - a monster-strewn, post-apocalyptic mirror world.
    Where were you when they added 'pure energy being' Horror to the roster as both an enemy and a secret character? Funny you should ask; I was dealing with a mouse infestation and living in a room not dissimilar in atmosphere to Nuclear Throne's sewer stage - but with unpacked boxes instead of toxic barrels. I remember this well, because at one point I found myself simultaneously splattering a rat in the game and barking at its smaller cousin on my bookshelf.
    Then there's what's lost along the way. We've been treated to throwaway tems and features like an FPS mode and the Party Gun, which permitted players to litter the harsh desert terrain with coloured streamers in celebration of Nuclear Throne's first anniversary. Such moments, like my Nuclear Throne birthday cake, are effectively gone forever.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X