Deus Ex Go isn't really Deus Ex, but it understands what's great about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deus Ex Go isn't really Deus Ex, but it understands what's great about it

Square Enix's streamlined Go series takes the publisher's sprawling action games and turns them into precision puzzlers in which movement is limited and each level has a single ingenious solution hardwired into it.
    This worked with Hitman because, despite the funny costumes and the freedom of approach available in the main series, Agent 47 has always belonged to a clockwork universe, and it was the clockwork itself that Go was so good at exploiting. This worked for Tomb Raider, too, because Lara Croft's greatest moments tend to involve a lone hero exploring a complex stretch of wilderness that, on closer inspection, has had all the genuine wilderness designed out of it with real artistry.
    Deux Ex was always going to be interesting. Deus Ex is about choice and only choice, in a way that can't easily be set aside. Deux Ex Go is - you guessed it - a precision puzzler in which movement is limited and each level has a single ingenious solution hardwired into it. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, and yet I'm loving it. There are two reasons for this, I think. One is that this really is an excellent puzzle game. The other reason is more surprising: Deus Ex Go may not have that much in common with Deus Ex itself, but it has helped me to understand what's great about the wider series.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X