Stephen's Sausage Roll review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen's Sausage Roll review

Last night, I ducked out of the living room saying, "Off for a bit - I'm going to cook some sausages." Three hours later, I was still at it. Sausages burned: too many to mention. Sausages cooked: zero. Stephen's Sausage Roll is a wonderful puzzle game. It is very literal, too: you roll sausages around to play, rolling them over grills in order to cook them and finish each challenge. It is also so clearly the product of an alien intelligence. Stephen Lavelle is a genius and a monster. His genius is monstrous, and his sausages should not be approached lightly.
    "The King of Sausage Rollers is definitely Stephen, as demonstrated in Stephen's Sausage Roll, an excellent puzzle game that Eurogamer could review if they wanted."
    I now see that the simplicity of this game is what makes it so terrifying. Cook a few sausages. Cook a few more. Each sausage is essentially made of four blocks with two faces each, and each face be rolled over the grill just once to cook them. Miss one out and the sausage isn't cooked. Let one touch the grill twice and it's burnt and you're screwed. You roll these sausages around little patches of land, a grid-based layout in which some squares are taken up with the grills, some can be rolled over as merrily as you like, and some are missing entirely.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X