Carrie Fisher Dies Aged 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrie Fisher Dies Aged 60

Actress, producer, and writer Carrie Fisher has passed away at the age of 60. The news was confirmed by Fisher's daughter, Billie Lourd.
    "It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 8:55 this morning," spokesman Simon Halls told People. "She was loved by the world and she will be missed profoundly. Our entire family thanks you for your thoughts and prayers."
    On December 23 Fisher suffered a heart attack while on a flight from London to Los Angeles, and was rushed to intensive care. Her mother later released a statement saying she was in stable condition.
    Although Fisher is known most for her iconic role as Princess Leia Organa in Star Wars, she was also an accomplished writer, having had multiple books published and working on numerous Hollywood scripts.
    Most recently, Fisher appeared in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and was promoting her latest book, The Princess Diarist.
    Having been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and battling an addiction to drugs, Fisher was also an activist in raising awareness on mental health and substance abuse. She spoke openly about her struggles and her activism work surrounding the issues were invaluable.
    Harrison Ford, who appeared alongside Fisher in Star Wars as Han Solo, has released a statement addressing the loss of his "emotionally fearless" friend.
    "Carrie was one-of-a-kind ... brilliant, original," he told People. "Funny and emotionally fearless. She lived her life, bravely. My thoughts are with her daughter Billie, her mother Debbie, her brother Todd, and her many friends. We will all miss her."
    Star Wars creator and director George Lucas described Fisher as "a very colorful personality that everyone loved."
    "Carrie and I have been friends for most of our adult lives. She was extremely smart; a talented actress, writer and comedienne with a very colorful personality that everyone loved. In Star Wars she was our great and powerful princess--feisty, wise and full of hope in a role that was more difficult than most people might think. My heart and prayers are with Billie, Debbie and all Carrie’s family, friends and fans. She will be missed by all."
    Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said Fisher "defined the female hero of our age."
    "Carrie holds such a special place in the hearts of everyone at Lucasfilm it is difficult to think of a world without her. She was Princess Leia to the world but a very special friend to all of us. She had an indomitable spirit, incredible wit, and a loving heart. Carrie also defined the female hero of our age over a generation ago. Her groundbreaking role as Princess Leia served as an inspiration of power and confidence for young girls everywhere. We will miss her dearly."
    "Carrie Fisher was one-of-a-kind, a true character who shared her talent and her truth with us all with her trademark wit and irreverence," added Disney chief executive Bob Iger. "Millions fell in love with her as the indomitable Princess Leia; she will always have a special place in the hearts of Star Wars fans as well as all of us who were lucky enough to know her personally. She will be sorely missed, and we join millions of fans and friends around the world who mourn her loss today."
    There has been an outpouring of love for Fisher from those that knew her.
    There are no words for this loss. Carrie was the brightest light in every room she entered. I will miss her dearly. pic.twitter.com/GgIeYGeMt9
    — Peter Mayhew (@TheWookieeRoars) December 27, 2016
    no words #Devastated pic.twitter.com/R9Xo7IBKmh
    — Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) December 27, 2016
    I thought I had got what I wanted under the tree. I didn't. In spite of so many thoughts and prayers from so many. I am very, very sad.
    — Anthony Daniels (@ADaniels3PO) December 27, 2016
    I'm deeply saddened at the news of Carrie's passing. She was a dear friend, whom I greatly respected and admired. The force is dark today!
    — Billy Dee Williams (@realbdw) December 27, 2016
    I'm deeply saddened to learn of the death of Carrie Fisher. I will miss our banterings. A wonderful talent & light has been extinguished.
    — William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) December 27, 2016
    It's a little thing, but Carrie Fisher was gracious, funny and creatively open when we worked with her for a small role in #Dishonored. RIP.
    — Harvey Smith (@Harvey1966) December 27, 2016
    My life goal as a kid was to have buns like Leia. I had a definitely flammable Star Wars bedspread cause of her. RIP @carrieffisher ? pic.twitter.com/gUOxbsFomH
    — Felicia Day (@feliciaday) December 27, 2016
    Carrie Fisher was smart, funny, talented, surprising, and always a hell of a fun time to be around. Family Guy will miss her immensely.
    — Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) December 27, 2016
    RIP pic.twitter.com/pwEpWZ3w08
    — philip lord (@philiplord) December 27, 2016
    #CarrieFisher was so witty and provocative and unrelentingly interesting. Goddamn, I loved her. Everyone did.
    — Elizabeth Banks (@ElizabethBanks) December 27, 2016
    Gone way too soon. RIP Carrie Fisher. https://t.co/2IPyP1DYYD
    — Lynda Carter (@RealLyndaCarter) December 27, 2016
    Carrie Fisher has passed, she was funnier&smarter than anyone had the right to be. Sail On Silver Girl. Condolences Debbie & Billie
    R.I.P.
    — Whoopi Goldberg (@WhoopiGoldberg) December 27, 2016
    Dearest Carrie, so incredibly sad to say farewell so soon to such a beautifully honest and unique human being- see you in the multiverse.
    — Andy Serkis (@andyserkis) December 27, 2016
    We've lost our Princess. pic.twitter.com/N9xMYe6jLT
    — Gwendoline Christie (@lovegwendoline) December 27, 2016
    Sweet Carrie.
    A photo posted by Lupita Nyong'o (@lupitanyongo) on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:36am PST

Fisher will be remembered as an icon and role model.
    GameSpot extends its condolences to Fisher's family and friends.

More...
Working...
X