Alien Director Ridley Scott on Why He Won't Make a Superhero Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Director Ridley Scott on Why He Won't Make a Superhero Movie

Ridley Scott, famous for directing movies like Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Alien, Blade Runner, and American Gangster, has spoken up to discuss superhero movies. Speaking to Digital Spy, Scott said he's turned down every opportunity to make one in part because the stories can be too unrealistic.
    A scene from Alien: Covenant's first trailer"Superhero movies are not my kind of thing; that's why I've never really done one," he said. "[I've been asked] several times, but I can't believe in the thin, gossamer tightrope of the non-reality of the situation of the superhero."
    While Scott has not made a superhero movie, he says Blade Runner contains some superhero characteristics.
    "I've done that kind of movie; Blade Runner really is a comic strip when you think about it," he said. "It's a dark story told in an unreal world. You could almost put Batman or Superman in that world, that atmosphere."
    If Scott were to ever make a superhero movie, it would have to have a "f**king good story, as opposed to no story!" he said. Scott went on to say that he would rather "keep making smart films."
    Speaking generally about the current state of film, Scott said, "cinema mainly is pretty bad," adding that he's concerned for its future.
    Scott's next movie is Alien: Covenant, which comes out this May; watch the first trailer here.

More...
Working...
X