Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad Director On Movie's Negative Reaction: "I Wish I Had A Time Machine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Squad Director On Movie's Negative Reaction: "I Wish I Had A Time Machine"

Suicide Squad may have been one of 2016's biggest hits, but it received plenty of criticism and reportedly had a troubled production. Now director David Ayer has spoken about the reaction to the movie, and what he might have done differently.
    Ayer took to Twitter to address some of the movie's issues, and expressed regret about some of the story choices he made. "I wish I had a time machine," he said. "I'd make Joker the main villain and engineer a more grounded story. I have to take the good and bad and learn from it. I have to give the characters the stories and plots they deserve next time. Real talk. (And no, there isn't a secret edit of the film with a bunch of Joker scenes hidden in a salt mine somewhere.)"
    Ayer went on to explain that he was trying to make a move that wasn't just another superhero film. "I know it's a controversial film," he said "I really tried to make something different, with a look and feel of its own. I took inspiration from the insanity of the original comics.
    "If you set out to make a mass appeal movie, it's easy to end up with vanilla. But I went for it. And I know Squad has its flaws, hell, the world knows it. Nothing hurts more than to pick up a newspaper and see a couple years of your blood, sweat and tears ripped to shreds."
    "The movie was wildly successful commercially. And the world got introduced into some very cool characters in the DC universe. And that success is due exactly to the wonder and power of DC, of its characters. Would I do a lot of things different? Yep, for sure."
    Suicide Squad set the record for the biggest US August opening, and went on to make $745.6 million worldwide. However, a story in The Hollywood Reporter revealed the extent of the film's production issues, with a script written in only six weeks, extensive reshoots, and multiple editors working on different cuts of the film simultaneously.
    In related news, last month it was reported that Ayer would be returning to DC to make a movie currently titled Gotham City Sirens. This will reteam him with Margot Robbie--who played Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad--alongside other female DC supervillains.

More...
Working...
X