New Halloween Movie Gets Release Date, Director, And Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Halloween Movie Gets Release Date, Director, And Writer

After confirming its existence last year, Halloween series creator John Carpenter has now formally announced the new movie and confirmed its behind-the-camera and writing talent.
    Writing on Facebook, Carpenter announced that Pineapple Express director David Gordon Green will direct the untitled film; he's writing the script alongside Eastbound & Down's Danny McBride. As he's done for previous entries in the series, Carpenter will be an executive producer, offering advice and feedback to Green and McBride throughout the process.
    "David and Danny both came to my office recently with [Blumhouse Productions founder Jason Blum] and shared their vision for the new movie and…WOW. They get it. I think you’re gonna dig it. They blew me away," Carpenter said. "I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool."
    The new Halloween movie is scheduled to come to theaters on October 19, 2018--just in time for...Halloween. Blumhouse is no stranger to horror movies, having produced Sinister, Paranormal Activity, and The Purge movies (as well as the excellent, Oscar-winning Whiplash).
    Last year, Carpenter spoke about how the Halloween series needs to "return to its traditions."
    "I feel like the movies have gotten away from that," he said at the time. "Michael [Myers, the series' iconic killer] is not just a human being; he's a force of nature, like the wind. That's what makes him so scary."
    In his Facebook post this week, Carpenter said the new film will make the franchise "rock again."
    Halloween was released in 1978. It became one of the most successful independent films of all time and is widely credited for popularizing the slasher genre that dominated the horror scene for the next few years. The last film to date was 2009's reboot sequel Halloween II, directed by Rob Zombie.

More...
Working...
X