Early impressions of FIFA 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early impressions of FIFA 18

At a recent event in London, I had the chance to go hands-on with FIFA 18 for a few hours. My early impressions are that it looks better, has some useful gameplay improvements that make a lot of sense, and feels a tad weightier to play.
    EA Sports moved FIFA moved over to the Frostbite game engine for FIFA 17, and while it sparked a modest visual upgrade, I didn't feel like it made for a significant leap. FIFA 18 is the game's second effort on the engine, and you can tell. To illustrate the point, EA Sports reps showed Chelsea forward Eden Hazard's face in FIFA 17, and then his face in FIFA 18. It's a marked improvement, with more detail across the board. But I was impressed most by the stadiums, particularly when played during the day. The lighting makes everything look more real, and there's a lot more visual density.
    I played a few matches in Boca Juniors' stadium, La Bombonera, and it looks fantastic. You get a great sense of an Argentinian atmosphere, with ticker tape on the pitch, unique flags, banners and even a car on the track that wraps around the field. At the event, creative director Matt Prior said the developers have tried to recreate unique atmospheres at a number of big stadiums in the game - and this extends to how the crowds work.
    Read more…

More...
Working...
X