Torchlight 2 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torchlight 2 review

About an hour into Torchlight 2 I'd already hit Level 8, and that was a pretty nice state of affairs. What was even better was that I'd been invited to visit Plunder Cove by a ghostly ferryman type in order to smack around some undead sailors who had done him a wrong'un.

I won't tell you exactly what I found in Plunder Cove, even though I'm absolutely dying to. It's one of my favourite moments of this gaming year, and you deserve to discover it for yourself. What I will say, though, is that the name of the place had me won over even before I'd seen the misty underground lagoon itself with its giant crabs and its shimmering wraiths. Plunder Cove: you bet I want to go there. Actually, why do games ever send you anywhere else?

Torchlight 2 is fairly riddled with improvements - new classes, new skills, six-player online co-op, a much larger game world, pets that can come back from the shops carrying groceries - but the thing I really love about it is the atmosphere it conjures up. Runic's sequel has the rich, oily colours and wispy smoke trails of a battered pulp paperback cover, and its dungeons are filled with tentacles, coal-driven robots and skeletons who have-at-you with the very sword that once skewered them to a wall.

Read more…

More...
Working...
X