Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Games of 2010: Mass Effect 2

Survivor.

They got me again when I found the MSV Estevanico.

In truth, Mass Effect has had its hooks in me since the first time I stood in front of the Citadel Council and dobbed in that crazy old bastard Saren. Back then, as I struggled to assimilate the quirks of the stupid inventory system and put up with a cover mechanic apparently thrown together on someone's lunchbreak, the scale and disposition of the universe was suddenly sold to me in seconds. With the fates of billions of lives at stake, I was told, I would need something a bit more convincing than, er, dozens of eyewitness accounts of Saren killing a fellow Spectre and ransacking Eden Prime in search of Prothean leftovers in order to get him into trouble. Disbelief: suspended.

So while everyone else sobered up at the beginning of 2010, I tore into a slightly buggy review copy of Mass Effect 2. (Don't worry ? I played the whole way through a retail copy to double-check my conclusions. Twice.) At the time, I was amazed how far BioWare had gone to overpower criticisms of the first game ? by scrapping my beloved Mako, streamlining all the major systems and breathing action into static conversations ? but it wasn't until I first diverted myself away from the main story quest that I really fell in love again.

Read more...

More...
Working...
X