Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Game(s) of the Week: Stacking and TDU2

Original rockers.

A funny thing ? and I mean that in both senses of the word 'funny' ? happened to me this week. I got plagiarised by a weird website (posting to another website) which is run buy a guy who was Dana Carvey's double in Wayne's World. (He has also written and directed an awesome movie called The Suitcase. "IT HAS ITS OWN BAGGAGE")

Basically, half of my Test Drive Unlimited 2 review was reposted elsewhere, without credit and with some of the words changed around so it barely made sense any more ("it really is really satisfying in the moderate term, particularly at greater rates of speed, in case missing the participation to maintain you"). The offending passages have been taken down now and we're told it was all a regrettable and inadvertent mistake. In truth, I found the whole thing much more bizarre and amusing than upsetting, anyway.

But it did get me thinking, especially when I read Kristan's intro to today's Download Games Roundup. The games industry, since its inception, has recycled ideas. Sometimes developers' own, sometimes their rivals'. I'm not being judgmental; it can be a creative (or, at least, usefully iterative) process, and it's not like every other entertainment industry doesn't do the same. Just look at the slate of third-generation remakes at the cinema, or all those hip young bands trying to sound like Gang of Four.

Read more...

More...
Working...
X