No announcement yet.

Your Broadband Speeds Are About to Quadruple, But Not If Carriers Can Help It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Broadband Speeds Are About to Quadruple, But Not If Carriers Can Help It

The FCC has a dream, but it needs to dream bigger.

In the February issue of Maximum PC magazine, I wrote about the lack of true broadband speeds in Silicon Valley. This didn't even come close to addressing the entire U.S. It was literally a rant about Silicon Valley, of all places, that lacked broadband speeds competitive with the rest of the world. Well, it looks like this situation is going to change for the better according to a report on The Verge.
    According to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, "we are never satisfied with the status quo. We want better. We continue to push the limit, and that is notable when it comes to technology."

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler. (Andrew Harrer / Bloomberg)
    In the 2015 Broadband Progress Report, the FCC passed a vote that changes the minimum download speeds on broadband connections from 4Mbps to 25Mbps, and uploads from 1Mbps to 3Mbps. While this doesn't seem like a lot--and it isn't--it's still a huge improvement for a large percentage of the population. In fact, if the upgrade seems too paltry to you still, FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel says 100Mbps should be the bare minimum.
    100Mbps!
    "We invented the internet. We can do audacious things if we set big goals, and I think our new threshold, frankly, should be 100Mbps. I think anything short of that shortchanges our children, our future, and our new digital economy," Commissioner Rosenworcel said.
    But things aren't all rosy. The National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) sent its objections to the FCC indicating that the FCC "dramatically exaggerate the amount of bandwidth needed by the typical broadband user."
    I'm going to say it right now: this is shit.
    For the country that played the leading role in developing the infrastructure of our modern internet, these political and lobbying bodies don't really give two-cents about your requirements as a user. What's important to them are the interests of the broadband providers. Naturally, Verizon was unhappy with the FCC's changes.
    A Verizon spokesperson who spoke to Ars Technica, said "we currently do not have any plans to enhance that." Meanwhile, the NCTA told the FCC that 25Mbps isn't required for good 4K streaming--something Netflix is pushing for.
    The issue around broadband runs deep. Local municipalities are often sectioned out, dominated by only one or two major providers. Living communities are even worse. The community where I live only provides Verizon services. Then there are the government and political wrangling that goes on. Last but not least, infrastructure is a problem too. Companies deter from investing heavily in infrastructure improvements because they're costly. The cost often comes from very old legacy infrastructure that requires tearing up.
    Alan Frisbie, who subscribes to the magazine, wrote in to let me know that the area he resides in, is already fortunate to get 768Kbps downstram and an abysmal 385Kbps upstream--for $50 per month. And because AT&T has an iron hold on Alan's area, he's unable to get other services. For users like Alan, who are essentially jailed to their providers, the FCC's vote couldn't come sooner.
    "The fastest U-verse service they offer in my area is 768K downstream and 384K up, for $50 a month. The only alternative is a T-1 (1.5 megabits) line for $432 a month. DSL is not offered here," said Alan.
    The only way this kind of situation changes for the better of everyone, is to stand up, and speak out. The gorilla in the room are the very providers that bring broadband to you, and they are against delivering improvements. Lining shareholder pockets seem more like the priority.
    If we reviewed U.S. broadband speeds at Maximum PC, we would give it a score of -10 and an ass-kicking.

More...
    ClanofIdiots.com Administrator
    PcGamingNetworks.com Co-owner
    webmaster@clanofidiots.com
Working...
X