Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Begins Selling Ubuntu-running XPS 13 Model

The Linux-based 'Developer Edition' starts at $949

In late 2012, Dell released a Ubuntu-running variant of its XPS 13 laptop as part of its “Project Sputnik” initiative. Named the Developer Edition, in reference to its target demographic, the Linux-based variant has accompanied every XPS 13 refresh since then and this year is no exception. The Linux flavor of the latest XPS 13 iteration—launched earlier this year—is (finally) available.
    According to a blog post announcing the launch, the Linux variant could've come out much earlier had it not been detained by a few issues "with the touchpad and a repeating keystroke." The problems, the company admits, took a bit longer to resolve than it would've preferred.
    Before we look at individual configurations, here's a rundown of the general specifications:
    • Processor: 5th Generation Intel Core i5-5200U or i7-5500U
    • Display: 13.3-inch display
    • RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500
    • Storage: 128GB/256GB/512GB

Dell has announced four configurations for the North American market. The two least expensive ones are both powered by the Core i5-5200U chip and vary only in the amount of onboard storage and type of display. The most basic variant includes a 128GB SSD and a non-touch full HD display for $949, whereas a $1,349 model combines a 256GB SSD with a QHD (2560×1440) touchscreen.
    The Core i7-based models both include the same QHD+ (3200×1800) touchscreen but differ in terms of storage and price tags. While the cheaper of the two units packs a 256GB SSD and costs $1,549, the other one comes with 512GB of solid-state storage and a $1,849 price tag.
    Follow Pulkit on Google+

More...
    ClanofIdiots.com Administrator
    PcGamingNetworks.com Co-owner
    webmaster@clanofidiots.com
Working...
X